Colin McCredie is a Scottish actor best known for his role as DC Stuart Fraser in the TV drama, Taggart. He is a long-term supporter of 500 miles and has come up trumps for us again with his classy fried cheese sandwich. He says it is Simone’s (his wife) recipe but we think it is all his own design.
Colin’s Cheesy Dream
Ingredients (serves 1)
2 slices of bread (soft white suggested)
Cheddar cheese sliced – enough for a sandwich (strong suggested)
Button mushrooms chopped (optional)
Mixed herbs (optional)
Spring onions (optional)
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying
- Sauté the mushrooms with the mixed herbs if using. Add some black pepper. Leave aside.
- Put the sliced cheese on one of the pieces of bread and pile on the mushrooms and spring onions if using.
- Spread some mustard over one side of the other piece of bread and make a sandwich by putting it, mustard side down, on top of the cheese, mushroom and spring onions.
- Soak both sides of the sandwich in the beaten egg.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and gently fry on both sides.
Serve with brown sauce!
And as Colin is from Glasgow – No Mean City – perhaps the sandwich could be accompanied by St Mungo beer from West Beer – https://www.westbeer.com/ourbeers/.
A Scottish sandwich and a German style beer – completely neutral and impartial for tonight’s big game!