Colin’s Cheesy Dream
Ingredients (serves 1)
2 slices of bread (soft white suggested)
Cheddar cheese sliced – enough for a sandwich (strong suggested)
Button mushrooms chopped (optional)
Mixed herbs (optional)
Spring onions (optional)
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying
- Sauté the mushrooms with the mixed herbs if using. Add some black pepper. Leave aside.
- Put the sliced cheese on one of the pieces of bread and pile on the mushrooms and spring onions if using.
- Spread some mustard over one side of the other piece of bread and make a sandwich by putting it, mustard side down, on top of the cheese, mushroom and spring onions.
- Soak both sides of the sandwich in the beaten egg.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and gently fry on both sides.
Serve with brown sauce!
And as Colin is from Glasgow – No Mean City – perhaps the sandwich could be accompanied by St Mungo beer from West Beer – https://www.westbeer.com/ourbeers/.
A Scottish sandwich and a German style beer – completely neutral and impartial for tonight’s big game!